KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.
I said keep your mouth shut. ESPECIALLY when you’re pissed off.
I’m speaking from experience mmhmm. Apparently, things don’t turn out very pretty when you speak in a fit of anger. THAT, I learnt the hard way.
I’ve always been quick-tempered. Nope, not my most valuable trait. However, with LOTS of practice, I’ve gotten the hang of curbing that monster. Not easy, but let me tell you that self-restraint is an extremely useful and important…. tool, for us short-fused people.
Take last month for example. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’d felt tempted to react IMMEDIATELY, to give someone a piece of my mind, to defend myself, to argue, to tell the world about how upset I was. During those moments, instead of giving in to my temper monster, I managed to keep my mouth shut. Instead, I distanced myself from the situation and looked at it from an objective angle. I analysed my options and approached the problem in a neutral, peaceful fashion. BOY I’M GLAD I had control cos things took a turn for the better.
It’s OK to be pissed off. We’re only human. We ALL get angry. You only need to master the skill of keeping a cool exterior when you’re seething inside. It CAN be done.
Lest you forget:
(1) You CAN’T UNSAY what you said;
(2) You have to face up to the consequences of your words. In the process, you may lose sleep, appetite, or fail to function properly cos you’re simply TOO DANG TROUBLED by your stupid reaction, which you clearly now REGRET;
(3) Even if you were provoked or weren’t in the wrong, by allowing yourself to react impulsively, you’re handing the REMOTE of your emotions over to someone else;
(4) Going forward, things are going to be VERY AWKWARD; and
(5) There’s always a better, more PRACTICAL way of dealing with the situation, no matter how pissed off you are now.
In other news, I’m still keeping to my training schedule and taking each day as it comes. Work’s work, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing gets too crazy for me to handle. You know what I crave the most at the end of every day? Peace. I crave peace. I crave personal time. I crave moments when I can detach and just…. be. A clear conscience is one of the best treasures one can possess.
I hope things are going great for you. Wherever you are, whatever you do, remember to NEVER let anyone with a bad attitude give it to you.